A Moqueca is a Brazilian style curry that we LOVE at the farm. The moqueca is a typical dish of Northwestern Brazil, where a heavy African influence mixes with the European and native cultures of Brazil to make a unique and delicious dish. Like a curry, you can throw in any vegetables you want! Enjoy
Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
1 Spring Onion (or a regular onion) (diced)
5 cloves of Garlic (diced)
1 inch of Ginger (diced)
Root of one Cilantro Bunch (diced)
3 Tbs Fresh Coriander (the green cilantro seed) of 1 cilantro bunch
1 Tbs dried oregano (crushed)
Dende Oil (Or substitute any high heat cooking oil like Safflower, Sunflower, or Refined Coconut)
3/4 lb Tomatoes (diced)
1 cup of Cashews (preferably raw but toasted work well too)
1 can of coconut milk
Garbanzo beans (2 cups of precooked dried beans or 1 can)
1/2 lb Green Beans (stems removed and chopped into 2 in pieces)
2 small Kohlrabi OR 1 large Summer Squash (chopped into 1 in pieces)
Stems of 1 bunch of chard (chopped)
Fresh Cilantro (for garnish)
Green Onions (optional for garnish)
Rice or Quinoa
- Soak the cashews in 1 1/2 cups of water so they are fully submerged.
- Start the rice or quinoa. Add some fresh cilantro, garlic, and salt to the rice if you wish.
- Finely chop the bulb of the onion. Finely chop the garlic, ginger, fresh coriander, coriander root, and onion greens together.
- Heat up 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Meanwhile dice the tomatoes finely.
- When the onions are cooked, add the garlic, ginger, oregano, and coriander seed and root. Cook until browned.
- Add the diced tomatoes and stir until the tomatoes start to release their juices.
- Blend the cashews into a soupy paste and add the cashew milk and coconut milk to the pot.
- Add the garbanzo beans and simmer for 20 min.
- When the stew becomes more like a sauce, add the chopped green beans, chard stems, and Kohlrabi or summer squash (peel the tough outside layer of the kohlrabi and then chop it into 1 inch cubes or strips). Add any other veggies you want just like you would a curry! Simmer for 5 min.
- Now add salt and pepper to taste and ladle over rice and serve! Garnish with the cilantro leaves left over from your cilantro plant.