This is one of my favorite recipes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Love and Lemons by Jeanine Donofrio. It's a great way to use up all of that summer squash taking over the garden! This recipe is vegan, but I've made it non-vegan before by substituting the tofu for ricotta cheese- It tastes great both ways!
If your looking for more seasonal vegetarian recipes, I highly recommend buying the cookbook!
Zucchini Lasagna with Zucchini "Ricotta"
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 garlic cloves
7 ounces extra-firm tofu
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped basil
5 oz lasagna noodles (I like the oven ready kind to save time)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup grated parmesan (if not making it vegan)
ground black pepper to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2) Make the "ricotta". In a food processor, combine walnuts, garlic, tofu, zucchini, lemon juice, oregano, red pepper flakes, and basil. Process until a smooth spreadable consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
3) Drizzle a 9 x 13-inch pan with olive oil.
4) Spread 1/3 of the tomatoes on the bottom of the pan. Layer half of the noodles, half the ricotta, and half the zucchini on top.
5) Put another third of the tomatoes on top of the zucchini, then add a second layer with the other half of the noodles, ricotta, and zucchini.
6) Top with remaining tomatoes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top if using. Drizzle top with olive oil.
7) Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 20-30 minutes more, until the cheese is bubbling and the zucchini is tender. Let rest for 10 minutes and then enjoy!